Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Working around the wall

I tip my hat to you Mr. Colin Reed. I believe that the article 'Working around the wall' is a great article. It begins with an anecdotal lede that tells the story of how this Side by Side Israeli and Palestinian film landed in the city of Columbia. Reed includes a lot of information regarding the specific instances that lead Iman Labadia to bring this event here. She is right in saying 'Americans in general are ill-informed about the Middle East, thus increasing the need to view events in the region from as many different perspectives as possible.' I believe that a lot of people, including myself, are very uneducated when it comes to other people. I know people that don't even like talking to foreigners because they can't understand them and don't want to deal with attempting to translate.
I also thought that Reed's inclusion of the Rabbi's wishes to not show the film was an important part of the article. It shows the opposing viewpoint about what is actually being talked about here. This being inserted almost shows you how separated they are from each other. Each group fighting against the other for more time, better coverage, and better understanding, while neither of them are working together to make that happen.
I wish I better understood people myself. I sometimes wish that I were not American, in hopes that I could better communicate with the world. I feel like my upbringing with English has set me back from the rest of the world. I want to be one of those people who knows how to speak eight languages fluently. That would be amazing!
I'm actually going to cover this event tonight, my story will end up being like an event coverage or update story now I suppose. I'm really looking forward to tonight. I hope that a lot of people from our community go.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sandra said...

Hello Sara,

I appreciate your comments and article
very much. Thank you for creating a blog for dialogue.

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home